Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week 5 Lab: Data Search

This was the frustrating map. As with all 3 of the maps, finding the data was easy. (An editor at work recently told me that if I can't find something, it probably does not exist.) My problem was that I had too much data. These files contained every road type and hydrography down to the level of a drainage ditch. I played with this as much as I could, even though the server was very slow. I was able to eliminate several categories, but then I had trouble simplifying the legend. I wanted one entry for all roads, one for hydrography line, and one for hydrography polygon.

This map went well until I got to the conversion of the DEM. Even with the guidance of the discussion board, I struggled with it, but eventually I succeeded by using ArcCatalog. For the DEM, I flipped the scale, so the highest elevation is the darkest. I think it looks pretty cool.


For this map, I decided to leave the "land use" categories off of the legend. I did this because there were so many that the legend would have covered the entire map. Also, there were many blank categories and I did not know how to remove them. Hopefully in the near future, I will become more adept at editing legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment